May 13 1937, the day after HRH King George V1’s Coronation. a group of businessmen wanting a forum to meet and greet fellow business people in the area decided a Club would be an ideal venue. The businessmen chose the name Coronation Club, in timing with such an auspicious event. They purchased the premises for Three Hundred Pounds and operated the Club business above Lowes Menswear, shop 97 Burwood Road with the entrance to the Club via George Street.
In 1951 the club’s legal trading entity was transformed from a non- proprietary company, to one of a Limited Company by guarantee. Opportunity presented itself with the purchase of a vacant building site at 86 Burwood Road, to build a new club which opened in 1961.
Membership originally, as with most Clubs, was male dominated with no constitutional rights to allow for women membership. Women were invited accompanied by a male member on special occasions, Ladies nights, special dinners and entertainment styled events.
In 1973, four years before the much signalled Anti-Discrimination ACT NSW was finally passed in 1977, the Coronation Club recognised the equality of women in the workplace, business and recreational areas and opened the membership for women.
Since then we have had one female Director serving for many years. With current membership numbers showing as many female as male members, the Club welcomes more applications from this sector for representation on the Board of the Club as a Director.
In the Club’s 75th year and after 50 years of operation on this site the Club was in dire need of renovation. Plans were drawn up and presented to a meeting of members for the forthcoming approval of such a major refurbishment. This was completed in 2012 and was officially opened by the Governor of NSW Marie Bashir on 27th November, 2012.
In 1962 papers and photographs relating to the club were set into a time capsule and included all things business and social, from accounting matters to Christmas picnics. This was opened in 2012 and is a great snapshot of the members and the club itself in 1950’s and 60’s .
The Coronation Club embraces the founding members philosophy and wishes to continue to provide for its members, patrons their associates a respectable atmosphere and service where they feel comfortable to meet greet and enjoy company of similar kind.
Long considered the social hub of the business community in Burwood the club is committed to serving our members with high quality food & refreshment at the lowest possible cost. A top priority of our club is to give something back to our community.
Our dedicated staff are ready to assist the members and willing to go above the call of duty to meet a member's request whilst at the club.